Profile support and refactoring

Osamu Aoki osamu at debian.org
Tue Jan 12 14:11:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 06:57:43PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> >   /etc/pbuilder/foo.postrc
> >   /etc/pbuilder/foo.prerc
>
>  I'm not too hot about this.  Let's drive the changes when we have a
>  specific use case/problem to solve and keep the current simple design
>  for now.

I agree now after realizing how $DISTRIBUTION is used.

> >   ${PBUILDER_PKGDATADIR}/distribution/experimental
> >   ${PBUILDER_PKGDATADIR}/distribution/sid
> >   ${PBUILDER_PKGDATADIR}/distribution/squeeze
> >   ${PBUILDER_PKGDATADIR}/distribution/lenny
> >   ${PBUILDER_PKGDATADIR}/distribution/lenny-backports
> >   ${PBUILDER_PKGDATADIR}/distribution/volatile
> >   ${PBUILDER_PKGDATADIR}/distribution/volatile-sloppy
> >   ${PBUILDER_PKGDATADIR}/distribution/kermic
> >   ${PBUILDER_PKGDATADIR}/distribution/jaunty
>
>  I'm not sure we want so many files; I'd have to think a bit about this.
>  I would probably prefer something like a shell script able to dump a
>  sources.list snippet when given a dist or pseudo-dist as input.
>  Perhaps the dput templates give us some good overview of the configs we
>  want to support.  At least not more than a file per use case rather
>  than per dist.
>    Perhaps something like /usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-aptconfig which
>  would accept --dist sid or --dist karmic and an optional --vendor
>  Debian or --vendor Ubuntu and default to guessing it from the
>  current distro or from the host's vendor.  Or we could ship some
>  sources.list files and sed the mirror in them.  e.g. we would
>  distribute backports.org-sources.list and sed the default host with a
>  mirror map.  The mirror map could be a config file of replacements to
>  do (seds).  We would also sed the dist and components in these.  e.g.
>  for ubuntu-sources.list:
>       deb @@UBUNTU_MIRROR@@ @@DIST@@ @@COMPONENTS@@
>  and for backports.org sources.list:
>       deb @@BACKPORTS_MIRROR@@ @@DIST@@ @@COMPONENTS@@
>       deb @@DEBIAN_MIRROR@@    @@DIST@@ @@COMPONENTS@@
>  would also need a flag for -src entries.

I was thinking the same direction after good sleep :-)

> > Problem is how to cope with debconf result in
> > ${PBUILDER_SYSCONFDIR}/pbuilderrc.
> > This needs some tweaking in debian/pbuilder.config
>
>  Oh yes; it's a fragile piece.

Yes. After realizing ---distribution related special cases are handled
in pbuilder-modules by installaptlines currently and there is facility
like $APTCONFDIR, question is which one is most clean.
 * case sentence to set $OTHERMIRROR and template as a part of code.
 * case sentence to set $APTCONFDIR and template files somewhere.

Anyway, there are few approaches.

Osamu