[Pcsclite-muscle] Smartcard reader Precise Biometrics 200 MC

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 12:17:03 UTC 2016

> Hello,

> I am wondering if the smartcard reader "Precise Biometrics 200 MC" [1]
> managed to enter to the supported readers to be used with GnuPG on
> GNU/Linux systems now in 2016 ? Is there a guideline to follow for setting
> it up ? I have found a reference [2] where it says that this reader has
> been assigned to unsupported devices list [3] in the year 2010. I am
> wondering if anything has been changed in the last 6 years about that, and
> would it make any sense keeping this device for another year if there is a
> chance for any progress to be made or will it simply remain being
> permanently unsupported ? Could it maybe be used without a fingerprint
> scanner and only through a PIN entry entering mode from the PC ?

Have you tried to use the reader?
Does it work for you?

The problem is in the reader firmware. Maybe Precise Biometrics has fixed
the problem in a recent version of the reader.

There is no guideline to setup the reader. Just install the needed software
and connect your reader.

The article "Level 1 smart card support on GNU/Linux"
http://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.it/2014/03/level-1-smart-card-support-on-gnulinux.html
could help.

Bye

--