[Pcsclite-muscle] Smartcard reader Precise Biometrics 200 MC

Jan Prunk janprunk at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 14:51:06 UTC 2016

Hello Dr. Rousseau,

> I am wondering if the smartcard reader "Precise Biometrics 200 MC" [1]
> managed to enter to the supported readers to be used with GnuPG on
> GNU/Linux systems now in 2016 ? Is there a guideline to follow for setting
> it up ? I have found a reference [2] where it says that this reader has
> been assigned to unsupported devices list [3] in the year 2010. I am
> wondering if anything has been changed in the last 6 years about that, and
> would it make any sense keeping this device for another year if there is a
> chance for any progress to be made or will it simply remain being
> permanently unsupported ? Could it maybe be used without a fingerprint
> scanner and only through a PIN entry entering mode from the PC ?

> Have you tried to use the reader?

I have tried to test the reader as described on "Level 1 smart card support
on GNU/Linux",
however it seems that it doesn't give the desired output. The reader might
also be a broken hardware, as I received it from second hand. The thing
that I noticed when plugging it into USB is that on the reader above finger
print scanner there are two lights. The left light blinks green and the
right light is green all the time, when the reader is inserted into USB. I
tested this without an OpenPGP card being inserted. The whole CLI output of
the commands that I have tried is available in this link -
http://paste.debian.net/plain/837677

> Does it work for you?

No ( or only partially with lsusb detect ).

> The problem is in the reader firmware. Maybe Precise Biometrics has fixed
> the problem in a recent version of the reader.

I will try to detect the reader from a Microsoft Windows machine and
reinstall it with latest firmware from their website and maybe proceed then
again on GNU/Linux.

Kind regards,
Jan Prunk
--