[php-maint] Bug#730528: Bug#730528: Enable dtrace/systemtap support
bernat at debian.org
Fri Dec 6 11:53:28 UTC 2013
❦ 6 décembre 2013 10:05 CET, Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org> :
> could you please elaborate more? What benefits would that have to
> general users and is there any performance (or any other) drawbacks in
> enabling this?
Such a support allows a user to answers questions like:
- how many time do we hit this function?
- how long a request whose URI starts with /api takes?
- is this function still used?
- what is the repartition of request times for my webserver?
And all this on production systems with a very low overhead.
When the user is not using tracing at all, there is zero impact on
performance because it expands to a NOP instruction. Only when a user is
requesting to put a probe in action, the NOP will be turned into an
appropriate instruction to be trapped by the kernel. See:
Make sure comments and code agree.
- The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plauger)
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 835 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the pkg-php-maint