[Po4a-devel]Some details

martin.quinson@free.fr martin.quinson@free.fr
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:14:01 +0200

Selon Jordi Vilalta <jvprat@wanadoo.es>:

> Hi there,
>=20
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Martin Quinson wrote:
>=20
> > The right solution would be to get the manpage and mo file generation=
 out
> of
> > the regular Makefile, and include them properly to the Perl build sys=
tem.
> >=20
> > If you want to look at this issue, you're more than welcome.
>=20
> The MakeMaker FAQ says: "Module::Build is the official heir apparent to=
=20
> MakeMaker and we encourage people to work on M::B rather than spending=20
> time improving MakeMaker". So this is what I've done. I attach the new=20
> files, and the ones I modified. Now, the basic distribution can be=20
> installed with:
>=20
>    perl Build.PL
>    ./Build
>    ./Build test
>    ./Build install
>=20
> and it doesn't deppend on make.

Nice job ! I'm currently working on integrating it into the CVS. I have a=
 few
question for you. Sorry for the delay.

> I've transformed the debian/rules into a=20
> main Makefile, so that it makes this process for you, and it includes t=
he=20
> locales and translated manpages generation. This way, one can install t=
he=20
> complete application and documents from the tar.gz.

Do you need the Makefile anyhow, or is the Build system enough for everyt=
hing?

I would really love to get completely ride of any makefiles around there.=
 It
looks like the Right Thing to do in a perl module to me, and may help the
portability to non-unix OSes.=20

> I've also reworked=20
> debian/rules to use this main makefile. I haven't tested it (I have no=20
> debian at home) so it may need some changes.

There was no need for that, thanks. If we manage to create a proper perl =
module,
packaging this to debian will be really easier using a tool called cdbs, =
but
that's a bit out of topic for now.

> The biggest change is in the=20
> manpages generation: it writes each file in a hierarchy as they should =
be=20
> installed on the system; it eases the installation without the=20
> dh_installman tool, but I dont know if it's so bad for the debian packa=
ge=20
> generation...

No, no problem.

> The next step could be to watch how to integrate locales and manpages=20
> generation into the Build.PL (as the manual says, Module::Build is more=
=20
> easily custmoizable than MakeMaker), but for now, it lets you install t=
he=20
> complete file set on every distribution, not only debian.

Yes, that's definitively where I want to go.

> I've also improved (in my opinion) the po/{bin,pod} Makefiles, using th=
e=20
> LANGS variable, instead of the redundant POFILES and MOFILES. The bigge=
st=20
> change has been in the pod Makefile, where I've made it able to transla=
te=20
> pods to many languages, instead of only the hardcoded french (I'll send=
=20
> you a partial spanish translation of the pods soon).

Nice job ! I didn't knew about the define construct in makefiles. It's ju=
st awsom.

> I hope I didn't break so many things...

It does not look so, and even if it were the case, it wouldn't be an issu=
e...

Thanks again, Mt.
PS: No need to CC me, I'm already subscribed twice on that damn mailing l=
ist ;)