[Po4a-devel]Some details

Jordi Vilalta jvprat@wanadoo.es
Sat, 22 May 2004 15:34:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

here are some doubts / little things I've found while messing around with
the code:

When adding a new module, one should add the module itself, the tests
about it, modify the test 1 to verify the new module's syntax, and modify
the chooser module to show the new module as available. It would be nice
if those last two things could be automatic. For example adding a new
function on each module that returns its description and a boolean that
tells if it's active or experimental (well, I'm sure you'll find better
ways for doing this :P).
This way, the test1 could test all the active (non-experimental) modules,
and the chooser could get the list of all available modules and their
descriptions without modifying them. This could also enhance the
translation of the list of available formats, because now, each time a new
module appears, the chooser string is modified, and translators have to
translate almost everything again.
(Should I send it as a feature request to alioth?)

The Chooser.pm file header talks about the Pod module and not about
himself. It's only an aesthetic issue :P (I haven't watched the other
modules)

I haven't been able to find the main po4a man page, although most of the
other man pages refer to it. Does it exist? Isn't it installed along with
the other ones?

It seems that t/10-data is the same as t/data-10. Could one of them go
away?

Another possible feature request: would it be so difficult to get the
master document (when gettextizing, or translating...) from stdin? This
way, for example as the Dia diagrams are normaly compressed, one could do
something like:
  gunzip < document.dia | po4a-translate...

And now some personal questions: Is there any way to test the modules
while developing them without doing a make install? I didn't achieve it.

And the last one (for now): How could I see the po4a program translations
in action? (I refer to the french one in the CVS and the spanish I'm
doing). I've tried something like
  LANG=fr po4a-gettextize
and things like that, but all appears in english, like before. What am I
missing?

That's all. Thanks in advance for your attention. (I hope not to be a pain
with all these things ;)

Regards,

Jordi Vilalta