[Po4a-devel]Some details

Martin Quinson mquinson@ens-lyon.fr
Tue, 25 May 2004 12:22:58 -0700

--JgQwtEuHJzHdouWu

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 03:34:28PM +0200, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> here are some doubts / little things I've found while messing around with=
=20
> the code:
>=20
> When adding a new module, one should add the module itself, the tests=20
> about it, modify the test 1 to verify the new module's syntax, and modify=
=20
> the chooser module to show the new module as available. It would be nice=
=20
> if those last two things could be automatic. For example adding a new=20
> function on each module that returns its description and a boolean that=
=20
> tells if it's active or experimental (well, I'm sure you'll find better=
=20
> ways for doing this :P).
> This way, the test1 could test all the active (non-experimental) modules,=
=20
> and the chooser could get the list of all available modules and their=20
> descriptions without modifying them. This could also enhance the=20
> translation of the list of available formats, because now, each time a ne=
w=20
> module appears, the chooser string is modified, and translators have to=
=20
> translate almost everything again.
> (Should I send it as a feature request to alioth?)

The chooser already act as an autoloader. And there is not that much
modules, I prefer to keep the control on the module order in the listing,
for example. Moreover, this solution would not be possible for man pages,
debian package description and so on. I prefer to keep everything manual.

> The Chooser.pm file header talks about the Pod module and not about=20
> himself. It's only an aesthetic issue :P (I haven't watched the other=20
> modules)
>=20
> I haven't been able to find the main po4a man page, although most of the=
=20
> other man pages refer to it. Does it exist? Isn't it installed along with=
=20
> the other ones?
=20
man 7 po4a=20
pod2man doc/po4a.7.pod

> It seems that t/10-data is the same as t/data-10. Could one of them go=20
> away?

Done.

> Another possible feature request: would it be so difficult to get the=20
> master document (when gettextizing, or translating...) from stdin? This=
=20
> way, for example as the Dia diagrams are normaly compressed, one could do=
=20
> something like:
>   gunzip < document.dia | po4a-translate...

Well, I seem to remember that Denis said it will be difficult to do with
encodings. I don't really remember.=20

I could also add a -z option to gunzip files before opening.

> And now some personal questions: Is there any way to test the modules=20
> while developing them without doing a make install? I didn't achieve it.

I added this to README:
USE WITHOUT INSTALLATION
=20
 If you want to use a version without installing it (such as the CVS one),
 use the PERLLIB environment variable is such construction:
  =20
  PERLLIB=3D~/CVSIMPORT/po4a/lib ~/CVSIMPORT/po4a/po4a-gettextize [usual ar=
gs]

> And the last one (for now): How could I see the po4a program translations=
=20
> in action? (I refer to the french one in the CVS and the spanish I'm=20
> doing). I've tried something like
>   LANG=3Dfr po4a-gettextize
> and things like that, but all appears in english, like before. What am I=
=20
> missing?

It depends on the way you installed it. I get it in french...
=20
> That's all. Thanks in advance for your attention. (I hope not to be a pai=
n=20
> with all these things ;)

Nope, I love feedback.

Please try version 0.16 and report any problems you find.

Bye, Mt.

--=20
Le monde est dangereux =E0 vivre! Non pas tant =E0 cause de ceux qui font le
mal, mais =E0 cause de ceux qui regardent et laissent faire.
  -- Albert Einstein

--JgQwtEuHJzHdouWu

--JgQwtEuHJzHdouWu--