[Po4a-devel]Presentation of the po4a project

Martin Quinson martin.quinson@imag.fr
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:01:27 +0100

--gr/z0/N6AeWAPJVB

[please keep both lists in the loop]

Hello,

my attention was just bought to the Translate project. As member of the po4a
team, I find this very interesting.

As the documentation over http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/ says,=20

  the po4a (po for anything) project goal is to ease translations (and more
  interestingly, the maintenance of translations) using gettext tools on
  areas where they were not expected like documentation.

The Translate homepage over sourceforge says that :

  the Translate package brings the translation format tools closer to the
  goal of providing a seemless method of converting the various translation
  formats. Currently the tools manage the conversion of Mozilla and
  OpenOffice to the Gettext format. Also included are tools to convert PO to
  CSV to allow translators to use wordprocessors to perform the
  translations.
 =20
 =20
At the first glance, I'd say that there is a bunch of functionalities in
common in both projects. The main differences are the targeted formats. For
now, po4a has working modules for sgml (both DebianDoc and Docbook DTD), XML
(a bunch of DTDs), groff (for man pages), pod (for the perl documentation),
and the documentation strings of the 2.4.x kernels. Another difference is
that po4a is in perl while Translate is in python. :)

=46rom there on, I dunno exactly what to say. This mail is meant as a sort =
of
"hello".=20

For example, I would like to take the code of your converters for Moz et OO
formats, and change them to po4a modules. Is it ok for you guys? What is the
licence of those codes? po4a is GPL, is it ok when I relicence your code to
GPL?=20

I really hope that we will be able to coordinate our forces in the future...

Thanks a lot,
Martin Quinson.

--gr/z0/N6AeWAPJVB

--gr/z0/N6AeWAPJVB--