[Po4a-devel]Re: [Translate-devel] Presentation of the po4a project

Dwayne Bailey dwayne@translate.org.za
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:08:02 +0200

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 12:01, Martin Quinson wrote:
> At the first glance, I'd say that there is a bunch of functionalities in
> common in both projects. The main differences are the targeted formats. For
> now, po4a has working modules for sgml (both DebianDoc and Docbook DTD), XML
> (a bunch of DTDs), groff (for man pages), pod (for the perl documentation),
> and the documentation strings of the 2.4.x kernels. Another difference is
> that po4a is in perl while Translate is in python. :)

Well it seems that together we are covering more bases with this PO
format thing :).  Between the two projects we've got most localisable
stuff covered.

We also have a basic:
 txt2po - good for translating READMEs
 sxw2po - OpenOffice docs - not perfect but workable

> From there on, I dunno exactly what to say. This mail is meant as a sort of
> "hello".

Hello from here also.

> For example, I would like to take the code of your converters for Moz et OO
> formats, and change them to po4a modules. Is it ok for you guys? What is the
> licence of those codes? po4a is GPL, is it ok when I relicence your code to
> GPL?

The code is GPL'd. I also hope we can find some common ground to make
localisation easier for the translator.

--
Kind regards
Dwayne Bailey

dwayne@translate.org.za
+27-12-343 0389 (home/work)  +27-83-443 7114 (cell)

"It would be a profound irony if an earnest attempt to bridge
the digital divide unravelled because of prohibitive software
license costs.  Even with educational discounts and so forth,
the proprietary model does not offer the unfettered choice to
participate in the development or modification of the very
technology that can only increasingly become an intimate part
of any developing society as it ventures into a digital
future." - Dr Sibusiso Sibisi, President CSIR, South Africa

Translate.org.za - Opensource software for all South Africans
A project of the Zuza Software Foundation