[Po4a-devel]Status of the TeX module

Nicolas François nicolas.francois@centraliens.net
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:56:18 +0100

Hello all,

I've got much less time currently.
Here is an update of the TeX module progress.

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 08:59:26PM +0100, Nicolas François wrote:
> I don't think the TeX module is releasable now. I would first like to t=
est
> it (translate one chapter of the book, do a gettextization with an old
> translation of a Python Documentation section). I would also like to
> release a LaTeX module, which should include some default customization
> (include common commands in the right categories, add a tabular
> environment, ...)

I've made a PythonDoc module and tested a gettextization of the Python
Reference Manual without any big issue (only usual issues, gettextization
is not an easy thing, but the french translation was is a quite good
shape).
The updatepo showed 556 translated messages, 166 fuzzy and 161
untranslated (gettextization on Python 2.0, updatepo to Python 2.4). This
is a quite good news, I will propose po4a to the team which is trying to
bring the Python french translation project back to life.
Note: I noticed only one difference on the PDF after a po4a-normalization (a
diff "with my eyes"):
a verbatim block contained a '%' character that I wrongly considered as
the beginning of a comment.

> Here is a TODO list:
>   * tabular environment (has to be done in LaTeX)
>   * more "% po4a :" capabilities (e.g. a method for
>     parsing '% po4a :' lines in the tex file (in parse)
more "% po4a :" capabilities have been added.
Still some lack: specifying the arguments that must be translated

>   * a category for the commands that can be translated separately when
>     they are at the beginning or end of a buffer
Done. Tested with PythonDoc, still not with Nicolas' book.

    * more documentation

> Known issues:
>   * all FIXME in the source
Even more FIXME and TODO in the source
>   * empty lines in a command argument
>   * handling of '\ ' (it works, but is not done correctly)
>   * an issue with the TOC of Nicolas' book (this is probably a minor is=
sue)
    * an issue with a % in a verbatim block (which should not be
      interpreted as the beginning of a comment). It won't be easy to fix
      because I don't have any idea of the environment when I'm dealing
      with the '%'.

> I've got a LaTeX module locally. I need to clean it (remove all command=
> peculiar to Nicolas' book, and add "% po4a: " lines instead).

I will find time to commit it this week-end (with the PythonDoc module)

> Then, the tabular environment, and the last TODO point may be needed (t=
hey
> both introduce important change in the PO file). After this, the POs
> should be stable enough and the TeX module would probably be releasable
> (if it was usable during tests).

I will give the tabular environment a try this week-end.

--
Nekral