[Po4a-devel]Release, and other considerations

Jordi Vilalta jvprat@wanadoo.es
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:00:46 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Martin Quinson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 03:54:16PM +0100, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
>> Three months have past since the last release and we have support for many
>> new formats, and some bug fixes. Should we begin thinking on a new release
>> soon?
>
> I strongly second you. Moreover, the email address given as maintainer of
> 0.19 is my tuxfamily.org one, which is dead. I vote for a rapid upload.
>
> I think that this is Nekral's call. Could we release as is, or you still
> have something to fix in TeX ? It's not released yet, but I think it should
> since it almost works, if I understood well.

Other modules still not distributed:

* LaTeX & PythonDoc: the same as above. It's Nekral's decision.

* Html: Yves sent some patches, and it seems to work for him. What should
   we do with it? (If we distribute it, we also have to distribute the html
   test suite)

* Debconf & NewsDebian: What's your feeling about them, Martin?

* Docbook: I think I will push it into the next release. I've seen that
   videolan people use a patched xml module, which just adds some inline
   tags (http://developers.videolan.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/www.videolan.org/doc/play-howto/src/Xml.pm.patch?rev=2966&root=VideoLAN+websites&view=auto),
   and that's already done in the docbook module.

* Xml: It still lacks some functionality, but some people are using it
   (the videolan people, and the chinese debian-installer team, IIRC).
   Well, it's distributed to support the Dia and Guide modules, but it
   isn't shown directly. Some people use it anyway, so I think it could be
   announced as officialy supported.

I've also been watching the Chooser, and I suggest splitting the list of
modules into separate messages:

sub list {
     warn wrap_msg(gettext("List of valid formats:")
         ."\n  - ".gettext("kernelhelp: Help messages of each kernel compilation option.")
         ."\n  - ".gettext("man: Good old manual page format.")
         ."\n  - ".gettext("pod: Perl Online Documentation format.")

This makes it easier for translators to update the translation when we add
a new module.

Another thing. The new wrapping functions require the Text::WrapI18N
module. This should be reflected in the /debian files.

Regards,

Jordi Vilalta