[Po4a-devel]Non breaking spaces in man pages

Nicolas François nicolas.francois@centraliens.net
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:21:13 +0100

Hello Jordi,

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 01:00:09AM +0100, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
> I was just gettextizing some man pages and I've noticed a problem when
> trying to mix several po files:
>
> $ msgcat *.po
> file1.po:19:10: invalid multibyte sequence
> msgcat: found 1 fatal error
>
> I've found that there was a strange character in that position, and it
> seems it's the equivalent of man page's "\ ". What's its meaning? Why is
> it handled with this strange byte? It seems we're generating non-compliant
> po files :S

Yes, "\ " are changed to 0xA0. Maybe this should be done only if the
charset used support this character (at least UTF-8 & latin-1).

However, I'm surprised it generate an error. I'm only getting warnings
(sometimes annoying):
warning: The following msgid contains non-ASCII characters.
         This will cause problems to translators who use a character encoding
         different from yours. Consider using a pure ASCII msgid instead.

(There is no warning when the charset is UTF-8)

Can you point me to the man page you gettextized (I will need the original
and translated man page)?

The "invalid multibyte sequence" make me think it is an UTF-8 error, and
non-breaking spaces are not multibytes.

Kind Regards,
--
Nekral