[Po4a-devel]Non breaking spaces in man pages

Danilo Piazzalunga danilopiazza@libero.it
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:14:39 +0100

Alle 20:21, mercoled=EC 16 febbraio 2005, Nicolas Fran=E7ois ha scritto:
> Yes, "\ " are changed to 0xA0. Maybe this should be done only if the
> charset used support this character (at least UTF-8 & latin-1).
>
> However, I'm surprised it generate an error. I'm only getting warnings
> (sometimes annoying):
> warning: The following msgid contains non-ASCII characters.
>          This will cause problems to translators who use a character
> encoding different from yours. Consider using a pure ASCII msgid instead.
>
> (There is no warning when the charset is UTF-8)

Somebody from the Italian translators's ml told me that newer versions of=20
gettext have support for UTF-8 msgids. Although I haven't found any=20
documentation for this feature, I've seen it used within Gnome programs.

=46or instance, the Nautilus sources contain something like

    "copyright", _("Copyright \xC2\xA9 1999-2005 The Nautilus authors"),

and the POT file is marked with charset=3D"UTF-8" and contains the =A9 char=
acter.

=2D-=20
Danilo Piazzalunga                     +--------------------+
PGP Key available at subkeys.pgp.net   | Linux User #245762 |
=46ingerprint: D018 815E 8C7F 2AE2 5565  | ICQ #105550412     |
             0C36 B5F6 DB20 B800 CB9F  +--------------------+