[Po4a-devel]Re: [Po4a-commits] po4a/t 02-TransTractors.t,1.8,1.9

Denis Barbier barbier@linuxfr.org
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:20:44 +0100

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 07:52:12PM +0100, Nicolas Fran=E7ois wrote:
[...]
> Is it OK if we document this, and indicate that a project should always
> use the same option for all languages/po4a commands.
>
> If we remove the option, then we can:
>   * just stay with "\\ " in PO. Translators can always use 0xA0 in thei=
>     msgstr
>   * do the transliteration if the po_out charset is UTF-8 or latin-1.
>     I never tried it.

Not exactly; with gettext tools, the POT file must be either ASCII or
UTF-8 encoded, and in the latter case all PO files have also to be UTF-8
encoded.

At the moment I have no strong opinion on what should be done, since I
believe that English manual pages should be fixed to not use "\ ".

And what about translated man pages?  IIRC 0xA0 were converted back to
"\ " because groff does not handle this character gracefully, this
should be preserved whichever option is chosen.

Denis