[Po4a-devel]New website?

Yves Rutschle debian.anti-spam@rutschle.net
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:16:42 +0000

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 12:45:30PM +0100, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > >The only remark is that it's a bit unfortunate that the site is english
> > >only. Is it temporarly, or by design? Ie, do you have idea about how to
> > >get it translated?

Damn, you people are going to want a working HTML po4a
module soon, aren't you? :)

> > Any idea on how/where to show the language-changing interface? (links,
> > combo box...)

We've got little flags on our site (www.naryves.com), which
the CGI will only display if the current page is actually
translated. However:

> The best would be to check the "Language-accepted" field of http, or
> whatever its name is, and select this automatically. But that's a lot of
> work, maybe.

This is the best solution. With Apache, you essentially just
enable "MultiViews" for the DocumentRoot, then you rename
the pages as index.html.en, index.html.fr, etc... The
browser asks for 'index.html', along with specifing a
language through HTTP, Apache sees there is no index.html,
then looks up through the localised alternatives till it
finds one. This means that if you specified 'fr' and there
is no French translation, Apache goes on and just serves the
next language, so normally you never miss the page.

OTOH if MultiViews isn't enabled on alioth, we're in
trouble.

Y.