[Po4a-devel]New website?

Jordi Vilalta jvprat@wanadoo.es
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 16:45:28 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Yves Rutschle wrote:

> Damn, you people are going to want a working HTML po4a
> module soon, aren't you? :)

I've done some small tests and it seems that the Xml module is currently
enough for our needs :)

>>> Any idea on how/where to show the language-changing interface? (links,
>>> combo box...)
>
> We've got little flags on our site (www.naryves.com), which
> the CGI will only display if the current page is actually
> translated. However:

It's okay if there's a small amount of languages, but it isn't well
scalable.

>> The best would be to check the "Language-accepted" field of http, or
>> whatever its name is, and select this automatically. But that's a lot of
>> work, maybe.
>
> This is the best solution. With Apache, you essentially just
> enable "MultiViews" for the DocumentRoot, then you rename
> the pages as index.html.en, index.html.fr, etc... The
> browser asks for 'index.html', along with specifing a
> language through HTTP, Apache sees there is no index.html,
> then looks up through the localised alternatives till it
> finds one. This means that if you specified 'fr' and there
> is no French translation, Apache goes on and just serves the
> next language, so normally you never miss the page.
>
> OTOH if MultiViews isn't enabled on alioth, we're in
> trouble.

I haven't tried it, I've directly gone to (successfully) detect it in php.
I prefer having the control over these variables, and this way we don't
need duplicate files (index.html.*).

Regards,

Jordi Vilalta