[Po4a-devel] Re: [Translation-i18n] po4a build error

Nicolas François nekral.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 13:46:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 08:50:45PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> I got CPAN set up: very nice. I think po4a installed OK in the end,
> but po4a did complain that it needed three other modules:
>
> > Checking prerequisites...
> > - ERROR: Text::WrapI18N is not installed
> > - ERROR: SGMLS is not installed
> > - ERROR: Locale::gettext is not installed
>
> I was able to install the first and the last, but when I tried to
> install SGMLS, CPAN said:
>
> > Package comes with a Makefile and without a Makefile.PL.
> > We'll try to build it with that Makefile then.
> >
> >   CPAN.pm: Going to build D/DM/DMEGG/SGMLSpm-1.03ii.tar.gz
> >
> > if [ ! -d /usr/local/lib/perl5/SGMLS ]; then\
> >   mkdir /usr/local/lib/perl5/SGMLS; \
> >   chmod a+x /usr/local/lib/perl5/SGMLS; \
> > fi
> > mkdir: /usr/local/lib/perl5: No such file or directory
> > chmod: /usr/local/lib/perl5/SGMLS: No such file or directory
> > make: *** [/usr/local/lib/perl5/SGMLS] Error 1
> >   /usr/bin/make  -- NOT OK
> > Running make test
> >   Can't test without successful make
> > Running make install
> >   make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
>
> Is this some more missing software? I do have perl.

SGMLS's Makefile expects to find the perl library in /usr/local/lib/perl5,
which is not the case in your configuration. There may be a mean to
specify it where it will find perl (changing the Makefile is easy, but I
don't know how to do it with CPAN).

> > Pearl:/po4a-0.27.2 clytie$ which perl
> > /usr/bin/perl
> > Pearl:/po4a-0.27.2 clytie$ perl --version
> > This is perl, v5.8.6 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level
>
> And is it likely to disadvantage po4a, not having that module for now?

It's only required for the po4a's Sgml module.
If you do not intent to use this module, then you won't notice any
issue (well, at least not caused by a missing SGMLS module;).

Kind Regards,
--
Nekral