[Po4a-devel] [po4a-Bugs][311648] Integrate tightly with a package's existing po files

po4a-bugs at alioth.debian.org po4a-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Sun May 3 14:12:38 UTC 2009

Bugs item #311648, was opened at 2009-05-03 10:12 by Michael Terry
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410622&aid=311648&group_id=30267

Category: None
Group: None
Resolution: None

Initial Comment:
I recently converted my project's documentation to use po4a.  It was great, thanks for the software.

However, I wanted to avoid having two gettext domains and used a bit of Makefile magic to make it happen.  You can read about it here: http://mterry.name/log/2009/05/02/translate-your-documentation/

It would be nice if there was a mode for po4a where more of that would happen automatically.

* The ability to read po files without also writing to them
* The option to merge the resulting pot file with another
* The ability to read the language list from po/LINGUAS

In addition, it would be nice if po4a shipped some m4 macros to make writing Makefile integration easier.  Stuff like installing the translated man pages, etc.  Together with the above, it means I could just have something like "PO4A_MAN_PAGES = one.1 two.1 three.1" and everything would just happen within my existing translation framework.

The tricky part would be filtering out the messages again when making the dist tarball (see blog post above).  But I'd be happy even if that weren't included, since that's pretty hacky.  :)