[Po4a-devel] Generating translated content in po4a

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Mon Nov 2 07:20:05 UTC 2009

I'd like to continue development of a po4a build script currently in
use in svn-buildpackage and emdebian-rootfs to reduce the process of
building translated content to a simple conf file. Currently called
genmanpages, it would probably be better as 'po4a-build'. The script is
currently POSIX shell but then a lot of the work is done via xsltproc,
so there is little point in converting to perl.

The current version is in collab-maint:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/collab-maint/deb-maint/svn-buildpackage/trunk/genmanpages

Also in the emdebian SVN:
http://www.emdebian.org/svn/browser/current/host/trunk/emdebian-rootfs/trunk/

The script uses a simple conf file:
http://www.emdebian.org/svn/browser/current/host/trunk/emdebian-rootfs/trunk/manpages.conf

I'd also like to include some Make fragments as examples that
maintainers can copy into a po/ directory for support of translating
program messages in packages that are not currently using autotools.
The Makefile is generic, built from po/Makefile.in.in and relatively
easy to keep up to date. Other files would include a Makevars example
and details of what to put into LINGUAS and POTFILES.in via a manpage
or HTML HOWTO.

The current files can be seen here:
http://www.emdebian.org/svn/browser/current/host/trunk/emdebian-rootfs/trunk/po
and here:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/collab-maint/deb-maint/svn-buildpackage/trunk/po/#_deb-maint_svn-buildpackage_trunk_po_

Finally, the docs would include a guide on setting up program output
translation, starting with native packages written in perl.

I think this work should continue within po4a itself. I'm undecided
whether this should be in a new binary package built from po4a source
or included in the main po4a package.

--

Neil Williams