[Po4a-devel] po4a-build and associated files.

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Fri Nov 6 22:00:00 UTC 2009

I'm exploring po4a-build and associated files.

I added a share/ directory so that I can work without affecting other
areas. (Problem with CVS is that adding and removing stuff is more
awkward than with svn etc.) I chose share because 'build' is already in
use and other files for po4a-build need to be shared amongst other
packages - like the Makefile derived from autotools (called
po4a-build.make to keep it separate from the Makefile itself).

I'm thinking of this kind of layout:

share/po4a-build
share/Makefile
share/po4a-build.make
share/po4a-build-Makevars.example
share/po/
share/po/Makefile
share/po/Makevars
share/po/POTFILES.in

po4a might actually want to use the po4a-build system itself - at least
for the binaries, or the current po4a binary translation system could
migrate into something portable to other packages (as the po4a-build
one is portable).

Before that's decided, the po4a-build system for it's own binary needs
to go somewhere, I need to document it and people need to see it. :-)

I'm thinking of basically working almost independently within the
share/ directory and then merging once the bugs are ironed out. Almost
using share/ as a branch but retaining share/ even in the long-term to
carry the files that need to go into /usr/share/po4a/ (rather than
/usr/share/doc/po4a/ because other packages need to be able to execute
these files as well as copy or symlink them).

svn-buildpackage and emdebian-rootfs would then include the po4a-build
Makefile for their po directory, copy and adapt the example Makevars
and set POTFILES.in to setup their own script output translations.

po4a-build itself is then called elsewhere in the svn-buildpackage and
emdebian-rootfs build to prepare the translated manpages and other
content.

po4a-build itself only has a few translatable strings but the
po4a-build system is already in use in SVN for svn-buildpackage and
emdebian-rootfs. (It's designed for packages that want script output
translation but don't use autotools, just make.)

I won't add share to the top level Makefile at this stage, it won't
affect the rest of the build that way.

Documentation will be DocBook XML and use po4a-build for translation.

I'm expecting to find lots of bugs in po4a-build - a few hidden
assumptions and things - and I'll continue migrating changes into the
genmanpages scripts in svn-buildpackage and emdebian-rootfs until
po4a-build is ready for a release as genuine part of po4a.

--

Neil Williams