[Po4a-devel] po4a-build and associated files.

Nicolas François nicolas.francois at centraliens.net
Sat Nov 7 12:31:57 UTC 2009

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your commits.

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 10:00:00PM +0000, codehelp at debian.org wrote:
> I'm exploring po4a-build and associated files.
>
> I added a share/ directory so that I can work without affecting other
> areas. (Problem with CVS is that adding and removing stuff is more
> awkward than with svn etc.) I chose share because 'build' is already in
> use and other files for po4a-build need to be shared amongst other
> packages - like the Makefile derived from autotools (called
> po4a-build.make to keep it separate from the Makefile itself).
>
> I'm thinking of this kind of layout:
>
> share/po4a-build
> share/Makefile
> share/po4a-build.make
> share/po4a-build-Makevars.example
> share/po/
> share/po/Makefile
> share/po/Makevars
> share/po/POTFILES.in

This looks OK to me.

> po4a might actually want to use the po4a-build system itself - at least
> for the binaries, or the current po4a binary translation system could
> migrate into something portable to other packages (as the po4a-build
> one is portable).

Using the po4a-build system would be nice as it would implicitly provide
an example and a test case that would be triggered before every releases.

> I won't add share to the top level Makefile at this stage, it won't
> affect the rest of the build that way.
>
> Documentation will be DocBook XML and use po4a-build for translation.

No problems with that.

> I'm expecting to find lots of bugs in po4a-build - a few hidden
> assumptions and things - and I'll continue migrating changes into the
> genmanpages scripts in svn-buildpackage and emdebian-rootfs until
> po4a-build is ready for a release as genuine part of po4a.

Just let us know when you want it to be released.
I'm willing to make a release this week to push some bug fixes and small
features (and I'm not sure I will be available to release in the next few
weeks). Also do not hesitate to put you as an uploader and release
yourself.

Best Regards,
--
Nekral