[Po4a-devel] Polish man pages broken again in po4a 0.37

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Mon Nov 23 16:25:27 UTC 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:40:44 +0100
Nicolas François <nicolas.francois at centraliens.net> wrote:

> I committed a change for the Pod module that adds the =encoding line
> automatically (or let's say in a more reliable way).
> It used to be only based on the -L option. Now it also takes into
> account the encoding of the PO file (the same algorithm is used to
> define the output document encoding).

With that change, is there any need for po4a-build to do anything with
utf-8?

> > I can make it a configuration setting in the po4a-build.conf file -
> > the question is which way should it default? UTF-8 on or off?
>
> I would propose to use the --utf8 option by default.

This was only for the workaround originally devised by Robert. The fix
in po4a supersedes that change.

> In the previous releases, the --center title was also set to avoid the
> "User Contributed Perl Documentation" title.
>
> This could be fixed with two options in the config file
> PODCENTERTITLE="Po4a Tools"
> PODCENTERPODIR="po/pod"

The config file isn't translated, I'm not sure where to put the string
as marked up for translation, other than possibly using an existing
string within the POD and POT. It's a bit like the "translator-credits"
special string in compiled languages. The string to be replaced by
eval_gettext would already have to exist in the POT and PO files.

In our case, "Po4a Tools" is translated. I'll extend this to allow
arbitrary options to pass to po4a and pod2man. Wishlist bug filed as a
reminder for me.

--

Neil Williams