[Po4a-devel] [po4a] Error with Text: \n symbol missing

Omar Campagne ocampagne at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 16:55:39 UTC 2009

Hello:

Thanks for such a quick reply. Actually, last email was an example of
the issue, the gettetized documents were
from usr_02 to usr_12, all displaying the same results.

 >Could you send me the usr_01.txt file you used and the po4a commands you
 >used (with the config file if you are using one).

There is no po4a.cfg as I didn't adapt the project for po4a after the
issue, and we used
po2txt/txt2po after gettextization. It is now that the vim-doc-es
project is a bit more "stable" (started couple of months ago)
that I 'm sending this.

The original is usr_02.txt, the translation is usr_02es.txt (attached).
The command had nothing special

"po4a-gettextize -f text -M utf8 -L utf8 -m usr_02.txt -l usr_02es.txt
-p usr2.po"

I guess that's something close to what I would use in po4a.cfg under the
options section.
The resulting file of the command is attached as well (usr2.po), the
issue is at #: usr_02.txt:20.

usr2.pot (attached) is the result of txt2po.
Fixing the issue after gettextization involved the use of the txt2po
tool, msgmerge and msghack.
Plus, po4a and txt2po produce different po files in the way they treat
similar (or identical) msgid's and how it (and it's translation) are
arranged.
Because of this, I either have to use po4a or translate-toolkit po's to
avoid
extra steps, and too many fuzzy strings in the process.

 >Do you know if vim is using a standard format (or is it only used for the
 >vim documentation).

In the manual it says Vim's help is written in regular text.
I do know that Vim can sometimes present its own issues with encodings
(it's kinda messy in Vim).

 >In this case, it would be nice to create a specific module (or an option
 >to the text module). This could be used to handle menus, or options
 >specifically.

That might be really useful for other projects in general.

 >some new options could also be added that could be used by
 >other text-like format. For example an option could indicate that
 >paragraph containing tabulation shall be handled as verbatim paragraph
 >(no rewrap).
 >Do you thunk there should be an option to activate a vim documentation

 >specific mode, or should we add options only for tabulations?

This issue is only present in that menu (in every file). It would be nice
to adapt the project vim-doc-es to po4a (and others, if willing). But I
think that would
require an option only for tabulations.
Otherwise, it parses the file fine, tables included. An option only for
Vim doc's
seems huge, (taking into account the few people who have translated
these files to
other languages).
However, I don't know about this things, and I wonder if those options
only for
tabulations could mess up other tables or paragraphs in the process. I know
nothing on formats (but perhaps PO format :).
If it doesn't break things (too much), it's inclusion will make it
perfect for Vim's help files and
perhaps the needs of others.

Thanks for the interest!

Best regards, Omar.