[Po4a-devel] po4a 0.40 is out, let's open the gates for 0.40.1

Omar Campagne ocampagne at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 00:10:13 UTC 2010

> > i.e. Locale... - Convert --> Locale... - convert

> Some short synopsis began with a cap, some didn't, now they all begin
> without cap (like debian packages synopsis should), but if it's more
> usual to begin with a cap here, we can unify the other way around.
Don't worry about that. I don't think it is more usual to start with
caps in English docs, thought I think it is more usual to start with
caps in Spanish docs. As long as it's unified, I think everything is
fine.

I'm going to compare against Spanish docs in Debian (the ones I've
translated the most) to see what's usual in Spanish translations.

> > or the deletion of the article in the example lines

> > i.e # The line containing... -> # Line containing...

> > (english can be more concise than other languages)

> Same her, most comments (in the same page or others) didn't begin with
> cap, so I unified with what was done.

Dunno here, same as above. Unify is always better than nothing.

> > as well as the use of minor letters instead of capital ones in some
> > examples.

> Most of the time, the goal was to reach some consistency with the other
> parts of the documentation. It's not rock stable: we can unify one way
> or the other ;-).

Unless any native English speaker says one way or another who knows
about documentation rules, I think it is fine. I will browse the
Internet to see if there are any clear guidelines anywere, however...
> (like debian packages synopsis should)
So I think it is fine.

> > OTOH, the bulk of changes are po -> POD, sgml -> SGML and more, which do
> > apply. I initially used only «po» given the inconsitency between
> > appereances.

> gettext official manual use "PO", so I really think it's better here.

Good point, I followed caps in this case during unfuzzying.

> > I mention this so you do not get surprised if you don't see all changes
> > taken into other translations.

> I take care of most of the unfuzzy, but it's up to translators to unify
> the way they prefer (actually, in some languages, and some parts of the
> documentations, it was already unified the "new" way). I thought it was
> not fair to ask translators to take care of these issues, making their
> translation ~15% fuzzy, so I continue...
It's grand. Concerning po4a docs, translators are rather active, so I
think they will find these changes not to be a huge nuissance.

> > Me again... I will do at least Catalan tomorrow morning, just finished
> > Spanish. You already did a lot David :)

> Thanks, do you prefer me to upload the fuzzy Catalan translation too
> once I'm done ? Actually, while carefully unfuzzing, I spot some style
> stuff I forgot to made (or upload :/), so anyway, I will upload Spanish
> translation fuzzy again tonight if that's OK with you.

I read this at 1:30 UTC +2 (and slightly drunk). I'm ok with whatever
new fuzzies you want to introduce in Spanish and Catalan. Sadly enough,
the Catalan translator doesn't seem active no more. The next release is
planned to take place in a month, so I have time to recheck ALL I did in
the docs. Hopefully, I'll finish before Sunday. If new fuzzies make it
in, no problem. I can do Catalan too.

Once all is done and docs are corrected, I would like to talk a bit
about boosting the visiblity about the need for translations (if devs
agree). Launchpad translations are stuck at po4a 0.29, I also assume it
is buried under all the projects there. pootle.locamotion.org seems
active.  Talk for the future.
--
Omar Campagne Polaino