[Po4a-devel] Preparation of the next po4a 0.40 release

Denis Barbier bouzim at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 13:01:46 UTC 2010

On 2010/7/29 Neil Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 00:16:11 +0200
> Denis Barbier <bouzim at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010/7/23 Omar Campagne wrote:
>> > Just a quick note. po/bin/po4a.pot was regenerated in the sources
>> > (187 messages) but not the translators' files (185 messages). I
>> > guess that can go in the next release and call for translations
>> > along with the corrections pointed out in the two previous emails.
>>
>> Hi Neil,
>>
>> Omar is right, po/bin/*.po files are no more updated since po4a build
>> system has been converted to po4a-build.
>> Could you please have a look?  In particular po/bin/Makefile and
>> share/po4a-build.make have no update-po target, that looks strange to
>> me.
>
> This would be a lot easier if we switched from the abandonware called
> CVS (to be orphaned in Debian if it isn't already) and used SVN.

IIRC we discussed this issue months ago with Nekral, he was not
against this move, so let us call for volunteers.  (My TODO list on
po4a is already too large)
I believe that any CVS committer can log into alioth to get the CVS
repository.  This person could play with existing tools to prepare
this conversion, look at Alioth docs to know what needs to be done on
Alioth, and when we are ready (maybe during the next string freeze?)
we make it happen.
Ideally we will import only the top-level /po4a directory, and the
website (po4a/html) could be moved into another place.  I have no
strong opinion about the SVN layout, I will just check that it is
compatible with git-svn since this is surely what I will use to commit
changes.

> update-po is not a standard target but we shouldn't try to rebuild
> every PO every time any change is made in the sources, so it is now a
> specific target, to be run when the package is in an appropriate state
> that a round of translations is due.

Agreed, thanks for fixing that.

> In most cases of packages using po4a-build, the po/ directory is
> just ./po/ and the PO updates are done manually with intltool-update -r
>
> (which is all that the update-po target now does, albeit with the -g
> switch to make intltool happy with po/bin)

To be honest, I do not understand why you added this dependency on
intltool, Build.PL did work fine without it.  BTW intltool-update does
not pass the --previous flag to msgmerge, this is quite annoying.

Denis