[Po4a-devel] New --porefs option, call to translations coming soon, po4a-buid retired

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Tue Sep 18 10:04:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:29:12 +0200
"D. Barbier" <bouzim at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012/9/18 Neil Williams <codehelp at debian.org>:
> >> I will soon update PO files so that you can translate documentation
> >> about these new options.  But I want to build PO files with
> >> --porefs=counter.  The problem is that I do not know how to do that
> >> with the current build system.  So unless someone explains how to do
> >> that with po4a-build, I will very soon revert our build system to
> >> using plain configuration files.
> >
> > Throwing baby out with the bath water...
>
> Nothing is thrown away at the moment, I am just changing how po4a
> generates its own PO files.  But if nobody maintains it, yes it may
> get dropped at some point.

As I've already said, I'm away at the moment and I'll be v.busy with the
Debian release when I get back. I don't see why someone else can't make
this tweak. I also don't see any point in rushing this through to make a
po4a release any time soon.

> > po4a-build.conf IS a plain configuration file....
> >
> > po4a-build isn't hard to tweak. It calls po4a itself. All that's needed
> > is code similar to the KEEP option in the config which sets a value and
> > it should probably be generic, so make it PO4AOPTIONS or similar.
> > Modify our po4a-build.conf to specify what is needed then put that in
> > each call to po4a (internal and external use) in the same was as the
> > KEEP option in the config generates a $K variable which is passed to
> > po4a.
> >
> > Needs to be done for the POTONLY call as well.
> >
> > Then add documentation (and get it translated) for the new option.
>
> No problem.  While you are at it, please also fix
>
>    http://bugs.debian.org/557665

Actually, what I've described would allow for this bug to be closed,
the same mechanism would provide for both.

> > I'm away at the moment but there can't be any reason to rush this out
> > during a release freeze, so there is plenty of time to get this done
> > without throwing away po4a-build.
>
> Funny.  I cannot see any reason why po4a development should stop
> during Debian release freeze.

Time is finite and po4a is not my only project - Emdebian comes first,
then Debian then some other upstreams. It's not as if I'm the only
person who could do this stuff but my time is already allocated until
Wheezy is released.

--

Neil Williams