[Po4a-devel] po4a & Markdown

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jan 28 08:42:18 UTC 2015

Quoting Sergey Korobitsin (2015-01-28 09:25:36)
> Jonas Smedegaard ☫ → To Sergey Korobitsin @ Wed, Jan 28, 2015 09:04 +0100
>
>> Hmm, not sure if you mean to say that it isn't working or that you
>> solved the problem on your own.  Obviously I hope it is the latter
>> :-)
>
> You pointed me to an option of po4a-updatepo, and I don't use it
> directly, but via main po4a executable. I've solved the problem with
> your help, thanks :-)

Ahh, now I get it :-)

>>> P.S. As I've found, not all features of Markdown are supported, the
>>> first one is old style headers (==== and ----). But they are
>>> preserved in PO file, so that's not a big problem.
>>
>> My goal was to parse not all Markdown markup but the least possible
>> to not break when tumbling it through po4a.
>
> OK, that's clear to me.
>
>> As I recall, I found old-style headers to cause problems treated as
>> plain text - what (non-big) problem do you see with it?
>
> A I see, non-sophisticated translator can omit the '=====' and '----'
> lines and leave only translated header itself, and at the output we'll
> get broken structure. Then, it can be workarounded by some kind of
> Translator's HOWTO, but people are people, and it would better if this
> case processes automatically.

I don't follow how current loose parsing leads to broken structure -
i.e. how it is an actual (not just an academic) problem.  Can you
elaborate on that - perhaps give an example of how it can break (even
if, as you already wrote, the breakage is minor)?

 - Jonas