[Po4a-devel] po4a 0.46 just released

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Fri May 22 22:05:57 UTC 2015

Hello,

On 21/05/2015 08:21, Marco Ciampa wrote:
 > On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 01:22:44AM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
 >> Hello guys,
 >>
 >> after almost 2 years, I just released a new version of po4a. That
 >> version does not come with a huge load of changes (I just integrated
 >> some of the available patches on the Debian bug tracker), but that's
 >> still a very good news: I managed to get into the situation where I
 >> can upload versions of that software again! I think that more releases
 >> will flow in now that my setup is fixed.
 >>
 >> That being said, I don't expect much free time to hack on po4a so I'll
 >> mainly do the basic maintainance. That's already much more than what I
 >> did in the recent years (my last upstream release was almost 10 years
 >> ago!)
 >>
 >> Feel free to write patches, and I'll integrate them
 >>
 >> Bye, Mt.
 >
 > Very good news. I was afraid it was a dead project and almost ready to
 > take over and fork it. We (KiCad development team) are rely on
 > asciidoc+po4a for handling the i18n of the documentation. Asciidoc is
 > (IMHO) the best light markup format but it lacks (for now) internal
 > handling of i18n strings. Thanks to po4a that makes it possible.

I just built and installed a po4a-0.46 package for Slackware and will
soon provide updated stuff @ http://slackbuilds.org, see
http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.1/misc/po4a/

I like Asciidoc too and use it to build all pages of http://slint.fr

We also use asciidoc+po4a to translate the pages of the website.

I am writing in sed a bi-directional converter
dokuwiki <=> asciidoc, to be able to indirectly use po4a for dokuwiki
pages, as there is no dokuwiki module (yet?).

I'll post here when it will be ready (in a few weeks if all goes well).

Also, I have a request, addressed to anyone willing to provide patches
(Marco?): that would be the ability to show anywhere in the UI the
current column number while editing, as in a lot of text editors and in
Lokalize. That _really_ helps, e.g. when translating messages output of
shell scripts whose lines shouldn't wrap.

Unfortunately I never wrote a single line of perl, so I can't do that
myself.

Oh, and please keep perl5 for now as that's what is available in
Slackware...

Thanks and best regards,
Didier