[Pommed-devel] macbook 3

Rob Terhaar robbyt at robbyt.net
Mon Jun 18 00:57:04 UTC 2007

On 6/17/07, Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> wrote:
> "Rob Terhaar" <robbyt at robbyt.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > The keyboard backlight buttons are working now! The light sensor is
> > being read, but when i turn the lights on and off and my office,
> > nothing seems to actually happen-  the amb. light readings are
> > changing wildly, but shouldn't the keyboard backlight be flipping on
> > and off?
>
> The light from the screen might be enough to keep the light level
> above the threshold. Try covering the speakers with your hands, and be
> sure that you haven't inhibited the keyboard backlight (either in the
> config or using the backlight off key - F8).
>
> > re: appleir
> > I have the kernel module loaded successfully, and as far as i know-
> > the latest mactel-linux patches should support this IR receiver. but
> > xev shows nothing when i try to get any sort of input from the remote
> > control...
>
> You need to configure an extra keyboard for X for that to work (use
> the evdev driver for this keyboard). pommed reacts to the +/- keys on
> the remote and adjusts the sound level accordingly, so check if that
> works (X doesn't need to be configured for that to work, pommed is
> independent of that).
>
> > re: sound
> > the funny thing about sound in linux on this laptop... I'm thinking
> > there's a problem with alsa. The drivers load correctly, and the alsa
>
> It's possible that ALSA doesn't have the correct chip config for the
> new MacBookPro, you'll have to wait a bit. The HDA codec is an
> extremely complicated thingy :|
>
> > mixer shows all of the channels. your pommed actually changes volume
> > correctly, but the overall sound output is very very quiet. I can just
> > hardly make out music over headphones. thru the built-in speakers, i
> > can't hear anything at all. so i guess _your_ software is working ok
> > though!
>
> Wait'n'see, but let the mactel-linux folks know about that.

Thanks for your help!!!
Some nvidia employees have responded to my thread in nvnews about the
linux driver issue. So i have a few new things to try. I'll let you
know If i can get anywhere with that.

I'll have to check into the mactel-linux patches a bit more- the audio
patches didn't apply cleanly to the default ubuntu-feisty kernel, so i
dropped them (looked like an older version had already been applied)

Thanks again for all of your help!