[Pommed-devel] macbook 3

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Sun Jun 17 07:48:40 UTC 2007

"Rob Terhaar" <robbyt at robbyt.net> wrote:

Hi,

> The keyboard backlight buttons are working now! The light sensor is
> being read, but when i turn the lights on and off and my office,
> nothing seems to actually happen-  the amb. light readings are
> changing wildly, but shouldn't the keyboard backlight be flipping on
> and off?

The light from the screen might be enough to keep the light level
above the threshold. Try covering the speakers with your hands, and be
sure that you haven't inhibited the keyboard backlight (either in the
config or using the backlight off key - F8).

> re: appleir
> I have the kernel module loaded successfully, and as far as i know-
> the latest mactel-linux patches should support this IR receiver. but
> xev shows nothing when i try to get any sort of input from the remote
> control...

You need to configure an extra keyboard for X for that to work (use
the evdev driver for this keyboard). pommed reacts to the +/- keys on
the remote and adjusts the sound level accordingly, so check if that
works (X doesn't need to be configured for that to work, pommed is
independent of that).

> re: sound
> the funny thing about sound in linux on this laptop... I'm thinking
> there's a problem with alsa. The drivers load correctly, and the alsa

It's possible that ALSA doesn't have the correct chip config for the
new MacBookPro, you'll have to wait a bit. The HDA codec is an
extremely complicated thingy :|

> mixer shows all of the channels. your pommed actually changes volume
> correctly, but the overall sound output is very very quiet. I can just
> hardly make out music over headphones. thru the built-in speakers, i
> can't hear anything at all. so i guess _your_ software is working ok
> though!

Wait'n'see, but let the mactel-linux folks know about that.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169