[Pommed-devel] [macbook air on debian]

Sergiusz Pawlowicz sergiusz.pawlowicz at bbc.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 21:54:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:17:38PM +0200, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Sergiusz Pawlowicz <sergiusz.pawlowicz at bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > i have problems with setting up keyboard light on
> > macbook air. it is standard debian sid kernel 2.6.24
> > rebuilt with mactel patches. smc reports:
>
> > pommed works, but only with screen brightness,
> > it cannot activate sound card:
> >
> > I: SMBIOS machine check: running on a MacBookAir1,1
> > W: Could not open /sys/class/leds/smc:kbd_backlight/brightness: Nie ma
> > takiego pliku ani katalogu
>
> What do you have under /sys/class/leds ? If you don't have an
> smc:kbd_backlight directory, there's something missing in your kernel
> (leds class support, perhaps).

No, unfortunately there is no content in leds dir.
I have leds module loaded:

applesmc               33740  0
led_class              10120  1 applesmc
input_polldev           9872  1 applesmc

but applesmc do not find it, accordingly to dmesg:

applesmc:  - Model without light sensors and backlight

how can i get more output from applesmc?

> > I: Found applesmc at /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/light
> > ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL HDA Intel
> > W: Audio initialization failed, audio support disabled
> >
> > even if i set it up not as "default", but "HDA Intel".
>
> From the error message, it's probably the mixer element names that
> aren't correct for your machine.

bingo! thanks. it works for speakers , but i cannot see
headphones output in alsamixer.

> > how can i get things more verbose to find out problems?
>
> pommed -d will show you some more messages. If you only want the
> startup messages, be ready to hit Ctrl + C because it'll start
> scrolling fast once pommed is running :)

it looks pommed is doing its job, and problem is inside
applesmc module.

thanks, julien!

s.
--