[Pommed-devel] #312002 backlight control for iMac11, 1 27" i7 ATI M98L HD 4850

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Tue Jun 29 16:42:00 UTC 2010

James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

Hi,

> Like Florian I'm interested in backlight support for recent iMac models.
> Is there any way that I can assist, Julien?

Here's what needs to be done:
 - Check that there is a backlight access method available for the
   machine. Nowadays it's just checking that there is something under
   /sys/class/backlight and that this something actually does control
   the backlight;

 - Add the machine to the list (pretty much like any other MacBook
   that's been added recently);

 - Modify the pommed init code to not set up the ambient light sensors
   for iMacs. They're only used to drive the keyboard backlight, and the
   iMacs don't have that, so that will spare you CPU cycles and
   wakeups. Also disable the AC adapter status check for iMacs, for the
   same reason.

It's all pretty easy, but if you don't have #1, you're dead in the
water.

If you can check #1 and give me the sysfs path, I'll take care of #2 and
#3 (I'll need the machine identifier for #2).

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169