[py3porters-devel] [Needs Audit] Debian Infra Depends

Paul Tagliamonte paultag at debian.org
Sat Apr 18 13:55:49 UTC 2015

Oh, hey there dkg!

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 07:40:19AM +0200, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Sat 2015-04-18 04:38:30 +0200, Bryan Shook wrote:
> > So a cursory glance through this list and I spotted a package that won't
> > need creation, python-pysqlite2.  That code became the sqlite3 module.
>
> in the same vein, do we want to try to maintain a new python3-psycopg2
> when python3-postgresql offers a (possibly more modern) python3 DB-API
> driver?
>
> We can do both, of course, but it may be that we want to consider with
> some more nuance about what the right upgrade path is for each py2
> module.
>
> so far, we've seen the following exceptions to the "we want a
> python3-foo package for every python-foo package" rule of thumb:
>
>  a) python-foo binary packages that contain py3 code
>
>  b) python-foo binaries where the upgrade path to python3 is python3-bar
>     (python3-foo simply won't be supported)
>
>  c) python-foo binaries where the upgrade path to python3 is python3-bar
>     (python3-foo is available but deprecated)
>
> are there other common exceptions?

There's also the case (which is really your case b in disguise, but
masked), where the package itself looks to run fine in Python 3, but its
reverse dependencies don't.

I tend to think style [a] is awkward. I'd mildly prefer we didn't do
that, but I don't know why I think that.

I think we (on this list) might be able to spend time hacking on [b] to
see if we can't turn it into a canidate

and I think issue [c] is one we should take the short-term kruft to avoid
porting as much, and loop back to do a removal of that module once we
are more settled.

Thoughts?
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag at debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87