[py3porters-devel] [Needs Audit] Debian Infra Depends (Aditya H)

erik eraker at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 22:43:41 UTC 2015

Hello All,

I'm quite new to debian packaging, so please forgive me if I'm missing
something obvious, but I took a look at Aditya's dependency graph, and
I have experience with python-beautifulsoup and python-bs4, so I
figured I'd speak up about those.

python-beautifulsoup is for BeautifulSoup3, which is Python2-only and
which will not be ported to Python3, while python-bs4 is for
BeautifulSoup4, which is compatible with Python2 and Python3. In bs4,
the API has changed a bit (for example, the `findAll` method has been
renamed to `find_all`), but I don't think the changes are too unwieldy
on the whole.

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 04:36:10PM +0530, Aditya H wrote:

>* I created an interactive SVG graph[1] using Graphviz from the data in
*>* porting.csv. Click on the nodes to highlight relevant edges.
*>* Oval-shaped nodes are main packages and diamond shaped nodes are
*>* dependencies ("target packages").
*
omg omg omg! :D

>* Green diamond nodes are those packages whose Python 3 versions exist. Green
*>* oval nodes are those which can be immediately ported to Python 3 because all
*>* its dependencies are green. Feel free to copy it. The generator code is
*>* currently a bit hacky and it needs manual tweaking.
*
Now I want to go and extract the whole chain! Really kickass work, Aditya!
I love it! This is *awesome*!

> >* [1] https://sites.google.com/site/wwwmetacom/porting.svg?attredirects=0 <https://sites.google.com/site/wwwmetacom/porting.svg?attredirects=0>
*> >* Regards,
*>* Aditya H
*
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag at debian.org
|   Proud Debian Developer
:* :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87
*`. `'`  http://people.debian.org/~paultag
 `-     http://people.debian.org/~paultag/conduct-statement.txt