[Reportbug-maint] Merits of VCS tools and workflows

Sandro Tosi matrixhasu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 14:41:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 16:33, Ben Finney <ben+debian at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> "Sandro Tosi" <matrixhasu at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 15:52, Ben Finney <ben+debian at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> > I've said several times now that I would welcome *any* modern VCS
>> > that doesn't have the problems of Subversion.
>>
>> and I'm saying that you're not using svn because you already know
>> bzr and you don't want to learn svn, period.
>
> On what do you base that assertion? I've already told you it's wrong,
> and entirely contradictory with what I have said.

On the fact that you are still NOT using it!

>> > If you are going to wilfully misrepresent my position, this
>> > discussion isn't really going anywhere.
>>
>> Me? I've asked a simple question, and you didn't answer it... what
>> were your negative experiences with svn+branches?
>
> A merge in Subversion has no automatic conflict resolution. Modern VCS
> tools have this feature.
>
> A merge in Subversion has no way of knowing whether a change being
> merged in has already been applied. Modern VCS tools will recognise
> already-applied changes without fuss.
>
> A merge in subversion is *slow*, many times slower than with any
> modern VCS I've used.
>
> Any operation on branches in Subversion affects the central
> repository, and thus all users of the repository. Modern distributed
> VCSes allow creation of branches that only exist locally, making
> branching and merging cheap, quick, and unobtrusive.
>
> That's some of the issues; there are others.
>
> These are facts of my experience with Subversion. Please stop acting
> as though they don't exist.

Now you told them! you never done this before.

Of course all of them[1] are trapped in hell using svn... god only
know how they can only do a simple change without dying...

Maybe because there are different tools for different usages? and
maybe your "workflow" must be changes & adapted case by case?

[1] http://subversion.tigris.org/testimonials.html#open-source-projects-using-svn