[Reportbug-maint] Python API to Access Debian BTS - python-btsutils vs python-debianbts

Sandro Tosi matrixhasu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 10:14:38 UTC 2008

Hi Bastian,
some time ago you contacted us (reportbug maintainers) and first of
all I want to apologize for this late reply ;)

I noticed you're working a lot on reportbug-ng and what I want to
discuss here is the way to communicate with Debian BTS from a python
program (something even us are planning[1] to do in a standard way).

You extracted the code to query BTS and forged a new package,
python-debianbts, but (there's always a "but" :) ) there already
exists a package that does it: python-btsutils. Here the rdepends of
both:

python-btsutils
   debian-bts-applet
   bug-triage
python-debianbts
   reportbug-ng

Ok, there is not much difference, but I think Debian should have just
one single python API package to access BTS and for this situation
maybe concentrate on python-btsutils, that exists since more time and
has additional capabilities.

What do you think about it? Does it seem reasonable to you to "merge"
python-debianbts into python-btsutils (in CC its maintainers, so we
can hear their thinking)?

Cheers,
Sandro

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/490548