[Reportbug-maint] [reportbug] r538 - in /trunk: ./ debian/changelog reportbug.py

Chris Lawrence lawrencc at debian.org
Tue Jun 17 10:28:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 6:48 AM, Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 13:42, Ben Finney <ben+debian at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> The best approach I've seen to that is to fix the whitespace in
>> separate changesets that *only* fix whitespace, keeping it out of
>> other changesets.
>>
>>> Do you want me to file it or will you do?
>>
>> I don't personally have the need for that feature, so feel free to
>> make the request.
>
> what??? if you don't need such feature, why are you removing them form
> changelog???

I read that as "Ben doesn't use dch" not "Ben doesn't think trailing
whitespaces need to be removed when using dch."  I don't use dch
(much) either; I just pull up Emacs and use debian-changelog-mode
99.7% of the time.  I even remember editing debian/changelog without
any fancy tools or elisp modes (although I think debian-changelog-mode
was around by the time I started on reportbug)... you whippersnappers
have it good!

While the spaces probably compress out in the grand scheme of things,
it doesn't seem all that harmful for them to disappear from the old
entries to maintain consistent formatting in the changelog; after all,
once upon a time it got converted from Latin1 to UTF-8, and that was
arguably a more far-reaching change to "old" entries.  And at this
point reverting the change would be just silly.

Chris