[Reportbug-maint] Modularization work in progress

Ben Finney ben+debian at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jun 25 04:59:08 UTC 2008

"Chris Lawrence" <lawrencc at debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Interesting timing. I've just finished my more limited-scope
> > modularisation work. (I didn't see any response from you, Chris,
> > when I said I was working on this. Hopefully we won't be treading
> > too much on each other's toes.)
> > [...]
> >
> > It's in the Subversion repository as the 'reportbuglib' branch,
> > <URL:svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/reportbug/reportbuglib>.
> > [...]
> >
> > Please have a look at this branch. I think it's ready to merge in
> > *now*, to enable some of the other benefits we're aiming for in
> > future, as well as assisting packaging and testing.
>
> I'll see if I can (by hook or crook) get my tree to rebase on top of
> this branch in the next day or so

That shouldn't cause you much difficulty (as I was aiming for minimal
impact with this change, while still getting the Python pacakge
directory implemented).

Less important than rebasing your work-in-progress branch, though, is
seeing whether the 'reportbuglib' branch works *as is*, so that I can
merge just those changes into our trunk.

> since the freeze is a bit further off than I thought it was
> (allegedly mid-July), we can probably get this all in to Debian and
> have breathing space for any fallout.

I'd like to aim for smaller, focussed changes that get us meaningful
progress toward our ideal, since mid-July is still fairly close.

> The layout in my git tree BTW is:
>
> bin/{querybts,reportbug}
> reportbug/*.py (with a few renamings to make things a bit more logical)

All this is in line with what I have in mind for changes, too. I'm
glad we're in agreement there.

A first step, though, is getting the changes in the 'reportbuglib'
branch merged in so we can use it as a common basis for these goals.

I'll aim to have that branch merged in by the end of the week (Friday
2008-06-27, evening in my timezone UTC+10:00). If anyone finds any
problems with it before then I'll address them.

--
 \            “If you continue running Windows, your system may become |
  `\                   unstable.” —Microsoft, Windows 95 crash message |