[Reportbug-maint] How about we ask students at Allegheny college to improve reportbug's UI?

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Thu Aug 19 07:57:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:51:34PM -0400, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> Dear reportbug team, (CC:ing Zack in case he cares,)

It looks like a great idea, thanks for proposing it!

Just a brief comment. I don't think you need any explicit support from
the reportbug people. I mean, it's great to inform them of course, but
let's clarify that there is no need of extra work from them in the
initial phase. I believe the students can work on the interaction
relatively alone, they will probably just need a reportbug super-user
which can guide them through the gory details of the current command
line interface.

Of course implementing any changes they will propose is a different
matter. Please make sure that the students understand that we can not
guarantee that their changes will be implemented. As it always happen in
free software, they can propose changes, submit patches, but it's
ultimately up to the software maintainer to decide what to do with
them. I believe that clarifying that in the beginning can avoid bad
feelings later on in case the reportbug maintainers will decide they
don't like the proposed changes.

More generally, it's totally worth to keep this kind of contacts :-)
Another venue where I would personally propose to use them is in the
aptitude command line and ncurses interfaces.

Cheers.

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams