[sane-standard] SANE2 proposal: split button/option handling

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at laposte.net
Wed Jan 17 20:54:38 CET 2007

Hi,

There is something very strange in SANE 1 (and SANE 2 draft): all is
option. I think that's not easy for frontend to handle devices
(especially buttons) with this design. It's very confusing.

I propose to design three different way to handle devices options and
buttons. I have only a fuzzy idea of how to design it, however, i'm
quite sure that all those "button" options is just confusing and make
developer live harder.

Device options handling keep similar as current implemententation.

Device buttons handling might be like the following braindump :

      * Define a SANE_Button_Descriptor struct which contains name,
        title and desc of the button.
      * Define a sane_device_button_lock (device, button) and
        sane_device_button_unlock (device, button) functions which
        behave like sane_open () and sane_close ().
      * Define a sane_device_button_get_status (device, button) which
        allow to monitor button status.

Please comment.

Étienne.
--