[sane-standard] More device properties

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Jan 18 01:19:42 CET 2007

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> writes:

> sorry for the weird forward from new account- having email troubles....

>> > That makes sense.
>>
> but requires that the user understand that the page that has been
> previewed cannot be rescanned without reloading the hopper.

There are scanners that put the sheet on the flatbed and can leave it
there after a scan.  In that case, reloading the "hopper" is not
necessary.  This was the scenario I was thinking of when I suggested
the "ADF preview" option.  Of course, if the handware can't do that,
the backend won't have such an option and the frontend should not care
about that.

# Backends can not be made to do what the hardware doesn't support
# even if a frontend would like to provide the functionality.
# Frontends just have to deal with the options they get.  Knowing what
# each option stands for, however, goes a long way in writing a good
# frontend, though.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/