[sane-standard] Button handling (was: SANE2 proposal: split button/option)

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at laposte.net
Sun Jan 21 18:49:46 CET 2007

Hi,

> i agree, but the description of TYPE_BUTTON indicates that it is for
> frontend to signal backend, not the other way.

And nobody use such buttons. I find this feature very strange. It's
confusing about device buttons. If we want to keep this features (use
option as call), we should use SANE_TYPE_FUNCTION or something less
confusing.

This is another question : should we use "button-", "sensor-",
"function-" or TYPE_BUTTON, TYPE_SENSOR, TYPE_FUNCTION ? I vote for the
later.

> then what shall you use as the name? remember that there are
> plenty of front-ends that are not GUI, and might only show the name,
> not the title and desc...

An "id" (i.e. lowercase + number + dashes). That's easy to use in
cmdline. Do you prefer typeing "adf" or "Automatic Document Feeder -
Front" ? :)

Étienne.
--
Verso l'Alto !