[sane-standard] Button handling (was: SANE2 proposal: split button/option)

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 19:35:16 CET 2007

On 1/21/07, Étienne Bersac <bersace03 at laposte.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > i agree, but the description of TYPE_BUTTON indicates that it is for
> > frontend to signal backend, not the other way.
>
> And nobody use such buttons. I find this feature very strange. It's
> confusing about device buttons. If we want to keep this features (use
> option as call), we should use SANE_TYPE_FUNCTION or something less
> confusing.
>
> This is another question : should we use "button-", "sensor-",
> "function-" or TYPE_BUTTON, TYPE_SENSOR, TYPE_FUNCTION ? I vote for the
> later.

we already have enough types. we can hold ints, strings, bools,
decimals, and this unused 'button'. some scanners will provide ints or
floats in response to a sensor or button, others will return strings.
trust me, none of us understands all the high-level options that might
be provided by a scanner, so we can only give the low level
'building-blocks' that a backend author may need, and some guidelines
to suggest extensions to the api.

> > then what shall you use as the name? remember that there are
> > plenty of front-ends that are not GUI, and might only show the name,
> > not the title and desc...
>
> An "id" (i.e. lowercase + number + dashes). That's easy to use in
> cmdline. Do you prefer typeing "adf" or "Automatic Document Feeder -
> Front" ? :)

ok, so the id needs to match what is on the outside of the scanner.
dont rely on the title.

allan