[Secure-testing-team] Some notes on data commits

Alex de Oliveira Silva enerv at host.sk
Sat Jan 13 02:51:47 CET 2007

Hallo Moritz. Wie geht`s? :)

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:59:14 +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote
> We use a quite open system for maintaining our data, but some notes
> to ensure a continuing high level of data quality:
>
> - Do not add <not-affected> entries unless it's very obvious (like
>   Windows-specific issues) or clearly stated inside a bug log or
>   home page.

ok.

> - Severity ratings have been repeatedly picked up by news sites
>   taking it as an official position of the Debian project and
>   indirectly the Security Team. This means that severity ratings
>   should only be added with great care. Not every issue needs
>   a severity rating, if in doubt leave out or mark it unknown.
>
> - Do not trust vulnerability web sites or the CVE description!

Did you mean that I shoudn't trust in mitre CVE "CVSS Severity"?
I changed many severity bugs using it. :(
Do you wait for the avaliation of the mantainer to change the severity
afterwards or do you only look in description of the bug?
How can I analize the severitys correctly?

> - If you add NOT-FOR-US: you should have done significant checking
>   if that package is not in the archive. If the package can even
>   be found with "apt-cache search" you haven't tried hard enough.

I made a mistake when I thought that there were no Debian Firefox extensions
packages. (NOT-FOR-US: Sage extension). Sorry.