[Secure-testing-team] Some notes on data commits

Moritz Muehlenhoff jmm at inutil.org
Sun Jan 14 12:13:05 CET 2007

Florian Weimer wrote:
>   - "unimportant" are PHP Safe mode bugs, path disclosure (doesn't
>     matter on Debian), and issues for which we only ship vulnerable
>     source code which isn't compiled into the package.

Plus all the junk reports about security issues, which are non-issues
in practice, like issues only "exploitable" if the code in question
is setuid root, exploits which only work if someone already has
administrative privileges or similar.

> [1] Given the ubiquity of privilege escalation vulnerabilities, it
>     doesn't make much sense to differentiate between root and
>     non-root.

While that used to be true in the past, Linux has become better and
local privilege escalation in production code isn't a monthly event
these days. (Unless you stuff several megabytes of black-box code
into your kernel, which led to two shiny remote root exploits in the
Ubuntu kernels. (Nvidia and Madwifi))

Cheers,
        Moritz