[Shootout-list] Many tests cheat

skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
03 Nov 2004 22:25:44 +1100

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 20:13, Einar Karttunen wrote:
> On 03.11 19:34, skaller wrote:

> I use the following methology with submitting tests:
> * If my implementation appears to be fair commit it
> * If my implementation beats the crap out of other implementations
>   post it to the list asking "do you think this is fair?"

Ok, another question then. The ring of messages test wants
pre-emptive threading. It's possible to organise this
for Felix, but you have to do the threading in the driver,
that is, in C++. There's no fixed pre-emptive threading model,
the model you build is application dependent.

On the other hand Felix provides fast scalable microthreading.
(telco environment originally)

Is a microthreaded solution fair? It will cream the pthread
implementations :) I think it probably isn't fair.

But I'd like to showoff microthreading anyhow.
Erlang and some other languages can do it as well.

So perhaps, two tests -- both ring of messages,
one requiring pthreads, and one without that
restriction (language without microthreads can
stick with posix threads .. or use callbacks,
setjump based coroutines managers .. etc ..

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia