[Shootout-list] some perl test

William Douglas Neumann wdnx@unm.edu
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:42:59 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Isaac Gouy wrote:

> If we were doing Math instead of timing recursive function calls - we
> use ints for Ackermann and Fibonacci

Then perhaps you should allow the implemetor to choose the datatype,
because as it stands now, you are not timing "recursive function calls".
For example, in OCaml if you are using floats, you are testing both the
timing of recursive function calls *and* the timing of unboxing floats.
Running takfp takes over 2.3 times longer under OCaml than tak_int.  So
you should either allow for different data types or change the description
to reflect that you are also testing floating point performance.

> "Historical note: <snip>

Then it might be best to rewrite the "about the benchmark" to explictly
state that the TAK function at the Wolfram site is not what is being
tested, but rather a variant of that function.  I looked at those notes
and thought, "Well, I couldn't give a rat's ass about the origins of the
TAK function, so I'll go to Wolfram to see what it is."  So I went, saw,
coded it up and then looked at the Java code where I saw that passing in h
was not required.  I'd assume others are likely to do the same.

William D. Neumann
<wdnx@unm.edu>

---
Dear Lord, please make me the kind of person
my dog thinks I am.