[Shootout-list] some perl test

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:40:35 -0800 (PST)

> Good question.  Shouldn't you really be using ints?

If we were doing Math instead of timing recursive function calls - we
use ints for Ackermann and Fibonacci

> And shouldn't you really be passing the function h(x,y,z) into the
TAK
> function as well?

"Historical note: When the Computer Science Department at Stanford
University obtained the first two or three Xerox Dolphins, John
McCarthy asked me to do a simple benchmark test with him. We sat down,
and he tried to remember the Takeuchi function, which had had wide
circulation. Because it was simple and because there were many results
for it in the literature, he felt that it would be a good initial test.
Of course, John misremembered the function. But we did not realize it
until I had gathered a great many numbers for it. Alas, we are stuck
with this variant on Takeuchi." Performance and Evaluation of Lisp
Systems