[Shootout-list] Safety vs. speed

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:05:55 +0200

Brian Hurt wrote:
...deleted

> Personally, I think it's beyond Shootout's mandate.  We're not measuring a
> language's "goodness", just it's "performance".  The performance- how long
> does the language take to solve certain problems, how much memory, how
> many lines of code- we can put more or less hard numbers on.  And we can
> apply the same rules to all languages, and be fair for some loose enough
> definition of fair.

''life is not fair. show me where it is written that it has to be fair''

the time used is directly related to performance. memory used is
somewhat related. but i have never seen anybody talk about lines of code
and performance, in the same sentence (before :-).

lines of code is about maintenance, and development speed.

i think we should keep lines of code. i do not think the shootout is
only about performance. if i was only interested in performance i would
not be using erlang :-)

bengt