[Shootout-list] Re: sumcol - when the correct answer is wrong :-)

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:15:03 +0200

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
...deleted
> This is a silly argument.  There's no a priori reason to assume that
> overflow is catastrophic.  You've just cherry picked some specific
> problems where it is.  It's not catastrophic to clamp a MPEG codec or a
> 3D pipeline, usually.  It's often adviseable to do so for performance
> reasons.
...deleted
> A comparison sheet might be useful, i.e. limits, overflow behavior, etc.
> But also kinda boring to come up with.  I think "the job" of the
> Shootout is to benchmark performance.  Just find a reasonable least
> common denominator standard for the benchmark, i.e. what must be
> fulfilled.

i agree. if we want to test catastrophic overflow behaviour, we write a
test for it.
just make sure that the expected test result is 255, when we want 255
(and not -1 :-)

bengt